About the Exams Office
The Exams Team at UCM handles all elements of the examinations, from registration to certification 52 weeks a year, for the extensive range courses and curricula we offer. The exams facilitated include:
- Academic exams from entry-level upwards for a range of Awarding Bodies. Qualifications include functional skills, iGCSE, GCSE, GCE and Degree level.
- Vocational exams such as; City & Guilds, Highfield Catering and Motor Vehicle ABC Awards include written and online assessments as well as the recording of practical achievements.
- Professional exams: we facilitate examinations for a large number of Professional Awarding Bodies together with the University of Chester and, amongst others, the University of London and the University of Northumbria. Many students undertaking distance learning programmes find that they are able to sit their exams at UCM, saving them travel and accommodation costs, but also giving them more time to study in the run-up to the exam.
- Knowledge of Life in the UK and Islands which is an immigration requirement for people wanting to naturalise to the Island. These exams are usually held on the first Thursday of every month. To apply to sit this exam click on the exam date, complete the application form and return it to the Exams team. To sit the next exam on the 26th October please complete the application form.
- Driving theory tests are also administered through this office and take place at our online testing centre, Thie Ushtey on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays (usually two sessions per day). You can book your driving theory tests here. Please note that Manx Utilities is currently carrying out essential maintenance works in the vicinity of Glencrutchery Road which may cause some disruption for candidates sitting tests at Thie Ushtey. We advise you to allow extra time for your journey to the test centre. If needed, you will be offered a set of ear defenders to minimise the noise but tests will run as scheduled. Should you wish to defer and re-schedule your test until the works have been completed, please contact the UCM exams office to book a test from September onwards.
- CITB Health & Safety - A new CITB form will be issued in October and the next opportunity to sit Pearson IGCSE Maths will be summer 2024, with applications open from November 2023.
- Functional Skills (Maths) - we run Online Functional Skills (City & Guilds) Maths exam sessions. There are two options (Level 1 and Level 2). This is for people who have worked through the study materials independently. Exam dates to be announced soon.
Numerous computer-based exams are run from our testing centre at Thie Ushtey, via Pearson Vue and Prometric, which offer a broad range of exams on behalf of professional awarding bodies. Most are booked via the awarding body or directly with Prometric or Pearson Vue. If your exam is not available from them , please contact us to discuss how we may be able to support you.
Costings can be prepared for private candidates aged 14 or above (school year 10) who may wish to sit their exam (including GCSE’s IGCSE’s, As Levels and A’Levels) at UCM but study elsewhere. The next opportunity to sit these exam at UCM will be in Summer 2024. The form for this will be available in November 2023.
Summer Exams 2023
Please see a list of exam results dates here.
Awarding body Information for Candidates
At UCM, we do not hold copies of your certificates. Once they have been collected, you will need to contact the board directly for these and there may be charges involved in obtaining them.
Please find below a list of our most common exam boards and their certificate replacement services:
- AQA: https://www.aqa.org.uk/contact-us/past-results-and-lost-certificates
- BTEC: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/Services/replacement-certificates.html
- Cambridge Assessment International: https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/exam-administration/results/lost-certificates/
- City & Guilds: https://www.cityandguilds.com/help/help-for-learners/replace-and-amend-certificates
- OCR: https://www.ocr.org.uk/students/replacement-certificates/
Use this checklist to help you to be as prepared as possible for your exam, so that on the day all you need to focus on is doing your best.